Friday, April 19, 2013

No Cake at This Party



TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!  Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear mmeeeee, happy birthday to me!  Was that a bit much?  Oh well, we all get 1 birthday a year and I see it as perfectly acceptable to be self-centered for 1 day a year.

Diabetic Dorothy has a birthday-what to do, what to do?  So how do you celebrate a diabetic’s birthday?  How will I be celebrating mine? Do we celebrate with cake? NO.  How about ice cream?  NO!  Oh, Ok, I got it, “sugar free” foods, right? NO!  In fact, there will be NO SWEETS at all, not even fruit.  My birthday meal will be steak and broccoli; perhaps we’ll stick my birthday candle in the steak (we get creative, one year my bday candles were in a bowl of oatmeal).  Maybe I’ll get froggy later on and make some fake fro-yo from unsweetened Greek yogurt.    

You say, “Oh, Dorothy, you’re no fun at all.  Indulge a little, it’s your birthday!  Everyone deserves a treat!”  I say, it’s not worth the extra insulin, elevated blood sugars and feeling like crap or putting myself out of ketosis.  I work very hard to maintain where I am and I’ve learned that over the years, those “little indulgences,” have a tendency to turn into BIG splurges.  I’m not the kind of person that can have, “just a taste” or “a little bit” of something to be satisfied.  I’d rather be safe than sorry so birthday cake and special treats are not invited to this party!

One thing I’ve come to accept over the past few months of MDI’s is that I was a food focused person.  I thought about food all the time.  It was an obsession.  Partly because I thought I needed way more than I actually did to maintain good blood sugars.  I had frequent lows (on the pump) which always made me scared that I wouldn’t have food at the exact moment my meter read “50,” and that I’d die trying to find the nearest juice box or granola bar.   Basically, fear drove my eating habits, now, not so much.  Continuing on to some helpful tips…

Maybe you have a diabetic (either type 1 or 2) member of your family and perhaps you’d like some non-life threatening ideas to celebrate a birthday.  Here are some:

1)      Make a “cake” out of watermelon, cantaloupe and berries, like in this picture.   I’d rather see someone with diabetes eat real food than crud out of a box or from a bakery that uses transfats, white flour, white sugar, garbage. (If I had the correct URL I’d give credit to whoever really made this, but know it wasn’t me.)

2)      Look up “Ketogenic” recipes for cheesecakes.  I made one for Easter and it was amazing.  I used almond flour and crushed pecans for the crust instead of graham crackers and stevia instead of sugar.  These recipes will be low in carbs which will help not to spike blood sugar.
3)      Take the focus off of the food!  Plan a family outing, like a hike, bowling, biking or kayaking.  Get active!  It’s great for everyone!

4)      Have a party, but make the focus something like “field day,” set up corn hole, volleyball, kickball, tug of war, relay races.  It’s still active and competitive and give out awards, adults and kids can have fun with this one. 
 
5)      Go to a sporting event, football, baseball, basketball, hockey, whatever.  Get totally decked out in your favorite teams stuff and have a blast cheering them on.   

There are tons of things you can do, just think outside of the box!  Don’t focus on the food and instead focus on the celebration and what it represents.  Life is about more than eating, it’s about family and memories. 
Speaking of memories, I’m done blogging now so I can go make some with my family.  Thanks for reading.
~D

No comments:

Post a Comment