Monday, June 24, 2013

Trying a Different Approach

Taking a little "Me" time this afternoon.  I've been struggling with my blood sugar for the past few days and have been repeatedly "riding the diabetic roller coaster."  It's been beyond rough on me, especially since the last few months have been going so well!  I'm afraid that all of my hard work is unraveling before me!
Today alone my blood sugar has been 45mg/dl which is VERY low and all the way up to 219, which makes me feel like a ton of garbage.

Diabetic Coaster-type1diabetesmemes
Typically, my approach to dealing with days like these is to become so frustrated and angry that it ruins me.  I stay angry and stressed over it, which ultimately makes my sugar worse.  So today I am trying a different approach - THANKFULNESS.
While my sugar may be out of whack, I can either let that 1 thing ruin my day or I can rejoice in everything that's going well and give the 1 bad thing to God to deal with.  Today I am choosing to be thankful, and here's what I'm thankful for today:
  1. I am thankful for an AWESOME God!
  2. I woke up this morning!  God gave me another beautiful day!
  3. I had a great weekend and was able to spend time with my parents and family friends who were visiting from Florida.
  4. That I'll finally be able to see my hubby for more than 1 hour today!
  5. That summer semester is more than 1/2 way over!
  6. After sleeping in a house that was 82 degrees last night, that our AC is now working again!!
  7. My anatomy & physiology exam went better than expected this morning.
  8. My beautiful Gladiolas are blooming outside my kitchen window, which makes me super happy and super thankful for God's creations.
  9. I received a phone call requesting a job interview for this coming Friday!
  10. I am getting to do 3 of my favorite things; writing, drinking iced coffee and sitting on the porch in my rocking chair while enjoying the afternoon.
There are by far more than 10 things I am thankful for, but for now reflecting on those is plenty.  It just goes to show that there is usually more good than bad in our lives, we just have to put our focus on the positive.  That is hard to do, especially for me when it come to diabetes.  That's why my prayer this afternoon will be for God to help me to only focus on the positive, to let go of the negative and to give it to Him.  

~D

Verses that helped me through today:
James 1:17 NLT
Matthew 11:28  NLT
Psalm 28:7 NLT
1 Peter 5:7  NLT

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! There are always so many things to be thankful for!!! God is good!

    ReplyDelete